Okay so first things first before giving you some highlights about ROOTCON 9, let's try to have a sneak peek on the comments of the attendees about the venue and some cool shots about it.
Thanks guys for sharing the awesome venue - Taal Vista Hotel in Tagaytay.It is. RT @Jhaddix: The @_rootcon_ hotel is pretty epic pic.twitter.com/OgNedHJQG2 pic.twitter.com/DUFOkYMYHS— Tikbalang (@tikbalangph) September 20, 2015
More than people turned up to listen to talks on a wide variety of subjects. Aside from Filipino participants, there were also geeks from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, Spain, Malaysia, America, India, etc. who attended the event. Cheers to the attendees who flew to the Philippines just to attend ROOTCON.
Here is the official electronic badge of ROOTCON 9...
|Mini Hardware Hacking and Hacker Badge Village|
- How to Shot Web: Better Web Hacking in 2015 by Jason Haddix
- BackDooring Git by John Menerick
- Open Source Internet Infrastructure Insecurity by John Menerick
- Unmasking Malware by Christopher Elisan
- Hacking Time by Carlos Tingson
- Hiding Behind ART by Paul Sabanal
- Building Automation and Control: Hacking Energy Saving System by Philippe Z Lin
- Detecting Indicators of a Compromise Using an SDN-Based Network Access Control Implementation by Mon Nunez & Paul Prantilla
- Incident Response for Targeted attacks by Jose Ramon Palanco
- How safe is my system from reverse engineering by Markku Kero
- Fixing CSRF Vulnerabilities Effectively by Lu Zhao
- Once more unto the data breach by Steve Miller
- Oh My Honey: Honeypots (or honeynets) by Ray Torres
- Understanding HTTP/2 by Nathan LaFollette
I would love to see @caseyjohnellis next year then :)awesome! @jhaddix keynoting @_rootcon_ in the phillipines... if you're at the con, make sure you go say hi https://t.co/ImkZs1aYrw— caseyjohnellis (@caseyjohnellis) September 18, 2015
Aside from the awesome talks, we had some cool hacker games. WiFi Warrior a.k.a wireless cracking was on the go but sad to say no one won that contest.Unmasking Malware by @Tophs here at @_rootcon_ 9 nice to see a Pinoy Malware Scientist! Will buy your books! Cheers! pic.twitter.com/r9cLQVsqf1— Isaac Sabas (@isaacsabas) September 18, 2015
Here is a picture of Team Handshake (the champion of the CTF) together with semprix (the founder of ROOTCON) and I (the jetman).
|The Team Handshake (a two-man Team) together with semprix (left) and The Jetman (right)|
One of the coolest part of ROOTCON and any hacker conference are the parties. Yes we had a post-con party which was sponsored by Smirnoff Mule so it was more of a drink till you drop. During the said party, the annual ROOTCON Hacker Jeopardy hosted by DevNull took place.
|The Winners of the Hacker Jeopardy|
ROOTCON would not be possible without the goons, speakers, sponsors and of course our con-goers. Thanks guys for the support and to the whole InfoSec community. You guys rock!
Stay tuned for more highlights of the conference and the pictures in our Facebook Fanpage.